Monday 18 May 2015

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Mini Quilt

Hello there!

I'm quite proud of this little mini ...



... so ...for the very first time ... I'm entering a quilt into the Blogger's Quilt Festival - gulp!

It all started with Ruth sending me a copy of the Little Quilts book, I instantly fell in love with everything in this book!

Then Sarah announced a mini quilt swap on Instagram and the rest is history!

I had the absolute pleasure of sewing the required hexagons from Art Gallery's Dreamin' Vintage fabric range and even more fun when it came to the embroidery part.



I'm not the most elegant embroiderer, in fact I've had one person comment that it looks like I'm about to stab my work with the way that I hold my needle, but this little bee was so much fun!

I embellished the embroidered abdomen with some gold thread ...



I was so pleased with the result that 'gold fever' instantly hit and I started putting gold everywhere!

I hand quilted the mini in the same gold thread ...



Went totally gold cray-cray on the back ...




... and calmed myself down a bit with a touch of gold spots on the binding.



As this was a swap, the little bee quilt now lives in another loving home.  I keep promising to make myself one too ... one day.

AmysCreativeSide.com

Thanks for visiting and yay me for finally having the bees to enter!

Serena xx

18 comments:

  1. Wow! You had one very blessed swap partner Serena! Such a sweet quilt - wonderful little hexies and I adore your bee! Have a great time at the BQF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that you joined in the festival, Serena! I love that it lets us get another look back at some fabulous projects. The touches of shiny gold in the mini are fun and well placed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous mini!! I love the bee and all the bits of gold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Especially the gold dotty binding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on you Serena - see it didn't hurt a bit. I love this mini, both the finished article and the fact that you tried something new. I hope you get many new visitors from the festival. A lot of people visit the blogs to read more about the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your embroidered bee is just lovely on top of the pieced hexies. Such a beautiful oval finish. Really successful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Serena, it's perfect! I recently purchased the little quilts book too and am so attracted to this gem. The only thing that puts me off is embroidering the bee...as I haven't done ANY embroidery before and it looks pretty fancy, but those hexie so wouldn't look nearly as gorgeous without the bee. How did you learn to embroider? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Serena! This is Super cute!!! I definetely need to make one with my hexies (have been sewing many of them these last days). Good luck in the festival! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh you so have to make yourself one - its so gorgeous and I love all of that gold - perfect !! I was in that swap too and would have been so happy to have received this one !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need to make yourself one. Sign up for the Instagram selfish swap and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I do like Granny Maud's Girl's response. That is a great idea! This is such a beautiful mini. The bee is incredible and the gold is such a compliment to this design. The recipient must be proud to own it now. I know I would BEE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea for a beautiful mini hexy quilt! I love your design, wonderful fabrics and great insect :)
    Greetings from Poland
    Kamila

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing stitching on that bee! And wonderful, bright colours. You definitely should be proud of this mini!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your quilt!! Great fabric choices, and I love the embroidery! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your quilt very much! I like hand embroidery on patchwork! Looks very interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks Fabulous Serena!! xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...